Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Stone Soup, Revisited

I will be the first to admit, I can't remember where I saw this but I know it was on the internet, so I can't give credit.
All I can do is link to Wickipedia for the story and I would like you to go read this before you continue.

I got to thinking about this tonight after I started adding a bunch of stuff out of my fridge to a pot of soup I started the other day.
I have to give credit for that inspiration to that cutie, little Rachael Ray.

Like her or not, that was the one damn thing I miss about getting rid of my TV, The Food Channel.

Anyway. I remember watching one of her Dinner in a Half hour, whatever they called it shows and she made Chicken Noodle Soup in a half hour.

Of course she cheated but I was impressed and actually tried it, with my own twist, and it was great!

So, the other day, I was digging in the fridge and found some celery that was fixing to go bad, a buddy had given me some tomatoes that were in the same shape too.
Further exploration came up with some ground Italian sausage and some Cajun Pork cutlets.

Hmm, time for some soup.
I added a can of Baby clams( note to self, get a freakin' CASE of those things!),
a quarter cup of instant rice, a can of potatoes, mash 'em up a little first, a whole onion and six cloves of garlic.

Throw in some chili powder, onion powder and stir on High like yer life depended on it.

Oh, of course, while you are at it, Two Table spoons of Louisiana Hot Sauce too.

Stir until it boils and turn it to simmer, keep stirring.


My point here is, if you have such a thing as a big stock pot or a large cast iron pot and can keep it simmering all day, you can feed a great many people, even if they only have a small donation to the ingredients. The longer you cook it, the thicker it gets and it quickly turns into a stew, just add water.



I am doing this just for myself and eating on a four quart pan for a couple of days.

Imagine what you could do with a huge Stock Pot or a Crock pot.

Just keep throwing things in it and have a hot dish, anytime of the day.

This is how people used to live two centuries ago, sometimes you have to wonder just how modern luxuries replaced one of the greatest things ever invented, a bowl of hot, home made soup.

If you can afford to get through this mess by yourself, more power to you, the rest of us are going to be eating a lot of Stone Soup.

10 comments:

  1. Nasty girl11:40 PM

    I made chicken soup in the crock pot last weekend (you missed it)and it was pretty fuckin good. I will be making it again next weekend just for you baby. See you then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yer fuckin kiddin me, you mixed baby clams with pork, sausage and other shit?

    Dude, I don't care WHAT you say, that sucks.

    Clams, onions, olive oil, garlic, cream, butter, cheese, noodles, yes. A lil basil in there, too.

    But mixed with meats? Dude, just cuz you live alone is no excuse for being culinary ignorant.

    Geebuz.

    Soups rock, 'specially as you add to them. But for god's sake, the ONLY soup on the planet that mixes seafood and beef, pork and chicken is Japanese Yosenabe, and you didn't make that.

    Google up Yosenabe, if you want a black pot iron pot one dish dish for the winter. Heavenly and done the RIGHT way.

    God, clams, of all things. In with pork and pork.

    Geebuz.

    GImme an email addy, hoss, I'll send you all my Foodie Friday posts from the last year I did at Betsy's.

    You'll thank me. Really. *G*

    Oh wait, I GOT your email addy! Did I send you them links? If not, lemme know.

    It would appear, you need them. Share them with some of the others folks who live alone, no prollies.

    They might find some useful help in some of it. It's tough living alone and not knowing how to cook. *G*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Busted, you got two new emails.

    N see, Nasty Gal don't put clams in her chicken soup.

    She knows. Hi Nasty Gal, keep him fed well, will ya?

    N try and teach him about cookin, if ya can.

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm telling ya Larue, it was so good, I did it again.



    Nasty girl , I will talk to you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeeze, quit gagging and think Gumbo, that's exactly how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. dood - i do that kinda stuff all the time -- round here we call them refrigerator soups.

    i've currently got two soups going back and forth from the fridge to the stove top -- one is a chicken noodle and the other is a hamburger pasta bean soup which will eventually become a shepards's pie. i'll have to try adding some sausage in the freezer to it to kick it up a notch.

    how ya feeling dood?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tell the story of Stone Soup all the time when discussing what a community is capable of even in a climate of fear and loss of hope.

    You never know what you can do until you do it!

    As a side dish to this post, here's my contribution...

    I made a pot of Hamburger Stew yesterday. In a good sized soup pot. I cooked up the last couple lbs of ground beef from Mom and Dad's cow purchase last year. Mixed in some onions, garlic, diced serranos and jalapenos and fresh basil and oregano from the garden. Sauteed it all with dashes of Tabasco and Worcestershire. When it gets to brownin' I then added a package of onion soup mix, a can of mushroom stems and pieces, stirred in a cup of water to blend.

    Once the meat is ready, I add 1 lb bags of frozen corn, mixed Asian vegetables, peas & carrots and a bay leaf or two. Bring to a boil with 1 to 2 cups of water. Add some corn starch or flour/water to thicken then simmer for 45 minutes, adding water to keep it good.

    Serve over steamed rice or mashed potatoes. Goes great with Guinness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nasty girl11:32 PM

    Hey larue, I'll keep him fed as well as he'll let me. And as far as teachin him about cooking, he's an ornery bastard so it's kinda hard to teach him what he thinks he already knows. lol. Actually he cooks pretty good already! (winkin at ya babe). Smooches.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are no canned baby clams in gumbo, or any other Cajun dish.

    Crab, prawns, maybe. Mixed with meats. And Porks.

    And without some fileeee, or serving it over Cajun Rice?

    I said it before, I'll say it again.

    Dude, take the baby clams in a can and make some kinda red or white sauce over noodles.

    Leave the pork and meats alone!

    Killin me . . . just killin me.

    I guess ya just can't fix kitchen stupid.

    *G*

    ReplyDelete
  10. LaRue if the man likes clams with his sausage then so be it! LOL my DH is a great cook. UNTIL he starts making a pot of "stuff". So I am surprised that I haven't had clams in my meat yet!

    Now I,on the other hand, have to agree about clams and sauces.

    ReplyDelete