Thursday, November 27, 2008

This Brings A Tear To My Eye

If this story and the implications of this little girl doing her homework on the same desk that President Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation on doesn't touch you, there is something very, very wrong with you.


CHICAGO—President-elect Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle, said their young daughters will still have to do chores in the White House and won't get out of doing homework just because they're the president's children. In an interview with Barbara Walters, the Obamas said Sasha, 7, and Malia, 10, will have lives as normal as possible. That means helping out around the house.

"That was the first thing I said to some of the staff when I did my visit," Michelle Obama said. "I said, 'You know, we're going to have to set up some boundaries,' because they're going to need to be able to make their beds, and clean up."

The girls, who will be attending the prestigious Sidwell Friends School, also will be expected to do their homework as usual. Although, the president-elect said, Malia has her eye on a special spot to write important papers.


snip




Obama, who is known to be an avid reader of Lincoln history, said his daughter told him "I'm going to sit at that desk, because I'm thinking that will inspire big thoughts."

During the interview, Obama described the desk as being the spot where Lincoln signed the Gettysburg Address. While there is a copy of the address on display in that room, it actually was the Emancipation Proclamation freeing the slaves that Lincoln signed there.




How fucking awesome is that?


H/T to Fark for spreading the word.

The original story is at Boston.com.

1 comment:

  1. I can't even begin to express how that just blew me away. I knew exactly what it was that she was talking about.

    I love, love, love this family. I'm so proud that they are representing us to the world.

    ReplyDelete