Monday, May 13, 2013

A Dying Art,Pouring Babbitt Bearings

 If you can find someone who still knows how to pour and correctly finish a babbitt bearing then you have a very serious resource that is getting harder and harder to find.
I found this video that shows the correct technique to share. I have seen this guy's videos before and he is very, very good at what he does, old school style.
Sure he has  milling machines and all the cool tools but he also has the old school knowlege to do things that is getting increasingly hard to find.

I know I looked for a week here in the Portland/ Vancouver area before I found someone who still does them in an industrial capacity. I needed a babbitt bearing poured for a six inch main bearing on a crankshaft for a pump I was rebuilding.

A couple of things I noticed here, first is that he carburized the shaft before he poured it to keep the liquid babbitt from sticking to it and two, that he used a grease pencil when he was preheating the parts that melts at a predetermined temperature to let him know when it was hot enough but not too hot.

One thing I can tell you from experience is that you do not let hot babbitt contact anything cold.


No comments:

Post a Comment